Friday, March 11, 2011

Knock, knock, knock...

I hear the sound of a hand against the glass at the sliding door that leads out back to our deck and I immediately smile. The sound is becoming familiar these days and I'm excited to see the person on the other side of the glass. Mainly because he is oh, so cute! Cute in a the way that his "l" still occasionally sounds like "w" when he talks about what he 'wearned' at school today. He has huge eyes and an even bigger personality. He wants to know if Ethan is home and whether or not he can play but his time at our house is never limited to just Ethan. He stops by whatever Audrey Kate is doing to make her smile and take her hands in his a few times while he's over. He chases Madeleine and laughs uncontrollably with her a few times too. Tonight we naturally had the chance to ask him to stay for dinner. After hearing the meal would be homemade mac and cheese he did a little Tiger Woods fist pump and asked for the phone to call his parents. I really don't know much about his family but I do know a thing or two about ours. One thing that attracted us to this house and this neighborhood was open backyards and people everywhere. We are so thankful for the love of God in our lives and home and we want to share it with those around us. I'm not always sure what that means from day or day. I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on opportunities to love people because of my own agenda. We' re trying though and in the midst of the trying sometimes we hear a familiar knock at the back door.


Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

14-16"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. Matthew 5:13-16 The Message

2 comments:

Mills Family said...

Well said post Becky! Thanks for the reminder!

melissa said...

Great post Becky! A wonderful reminder to be a light! I get so distracted and busy with my life that I often forget my purpose here on earth.

I look forward to getting together with Kroeger and our boy/girl/girl someday! I love Maddie's expressions in your last past. Audrey has become a bit more sassy as she has turned 3. Uh-oh!