"I'd like to think the best of me is still hiding up my sleeve." John Mayer No Such Thing
Yesterday I had the opportunity to work out in the afternoon - a rare event unfortunately. I was enjoying some John Mayer when this line jumped out at me. I've listened to this song a million times and never really thought about this line. Last week I was chatting with some friends and we were laughing about how we love being home with our kids but how we also want to scour the classifieds every now and again for some work when they are making us nuts. We also laughed again at how someday our kids will be in school and our husbands will probably be wanting us to get back out and make some extra money and we'll all think, "What, no way! The kids are all in school and we want to run around and hang out with all our friends whose kids are also in school." It's hard not to feel trapped in this stage of life. It's hard to see past this time when your days are filled with soaking clothes in Oxi Clean because they've been crapped upon for the umpteenth time and your preschool is calling out from the bathroom because he needs his butt wiped. I do hope the best of me is still hiding up my sleeve. I hope years of learning new things are growing as a person are waiting out there for me. There's so much I want to see and do in addition to being a mommy. I want to rock orphan babies around the work and love them as much as I can during a mission trip's time. I want to see all parts of Europe with my family and with just my husband. I want to learn to play golf with Mike and travel to beautiful courses with him (although my husband informed me last night that he is concerned about my ability to be patient and how that might effect our romantic golf getaways - I told him that I might just send him off to the course alone while I sit in the sun on a beach somewhere if he's got an attitude like that!). I want to learn to play the piano and knit. I'd love to run a race someday and own a dog. This is just the short list...I'm only getting started. What's hiding up your sleeve?
Friday, January 25, 2008
Posted by Life with la familia at 12:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
ooh, I like your list! You'll get outta the crappy mode some day! I promise!!
Wow! What a deep email! Not what I would expect from Senora Lee, but it got me thinking... What IS up my sleeve????? P.S. Yesterday I cleaned up puke all day...
Post a Comment